Most people consider ants a nuisance. This is often true, especially if you find an infestation in your home. However, at Critter Control® of Tampa, we respect all parts of nature and want our customers to be educated about them. Here are 10 things you didn’t know about ants.
A Weighty Fact
Ants can move food, sticks, and other materials twice their size. Additionally, the combined weight of every ant in the world is equal to, if not larger than, the weight of humans.
Long Live the Ant
Although many insects have short life spans, ants can live as long as 30 years (unless, of course, Critter Control gets to them first).
The More the Merrier
There are more than 12,000 known species of ants.
Pick Your Poison
Most ants aren’t venomous—except one. The Pogonomyrmex Maricopa is the most venomous insect in the world.
All worker and soldier ants are female, as is the queen.
Five More Ant Facts
- The largest ant colony ever found stretched for 3,750 miles.
- Ants cause at least $5 billion worth of damage in North America each year.
- Some ants can lift and support 100 times their own weight.
- Ants have two stomachs. In one, they store their own food. In the other, they store food for other members of the colony.
- Most ants can live underwater for 24 hours.
While ants are a necessary part of our fragile ecosystem, having them in your home is an issue that should be addressed. If you suspect an ant infestation in your home, call the experts at Critter Control® of Tampa a call today at 813.359.1996.