Squirrels in attic got you lying awake at night? Get rid of the squirrels in attic that you have and tell potential squirrel tenants to stay away in a few simple steps.
First thing’s first
With any squirrel problem, you should first take care of some preventative measures, which will keep squirrels away from your property just by making it seem less appealing.
- Removing any bird feeders
- Securing all garbage cans by keeping them in a shed or by purchasing animal-proof locking lids.
- Cut tree limbs away from your roof line
Sealing up the space to encourage squirrels in attic to stay away
Approach all squirrels carefully, and remember that mother squirrels with babies can get aggressive. Knock on the attic door or ceiling before entering the space, so the squirrels expect something coming and you can enter with no issue. Use a bright light, like a flashlight or the night light function on your iPhone to light your way and keep the squirrels at a safe distance.
- Close as many holes as you can see and cover spaces that are wide enough to accommodate a squirrel; remember that they can squeeze into spaces far smaller than their bodies.
- Place a chimney cap on the chimney.
- Cover vents with mesh wire, which can be stuffed with steel wool to keep smaller rodents out as well.
- Identify chewed-out holes and leave only one hole intact as an exit for the squirrels (you will cover this hole back up after you are sure any squirrels that were inside are gone).
- Install a squirrel box, which is a quick place they can call home outdoors instead of being tempted to head inside.
If you suspect that squirrels may have taken up residence in your attic, don’t hesitate to call the experts here at Critter Control® of Tampa. We offer free home consultations and will work with you to create a plan that suits your specific situation. Call us today at 813.948.0870 with any questions.