Winter is fast approaching here in the Tampa area, and as temperatures begin to drop, you’ll likely be spending more time indoors away from the cold; and you aren’t alone. Rats, squirrels, raccoons, and other critters are looking for the same shelter from the elements that you are, and that often leads them into abandoned or occupied buildings and residences.
There are steps you can take to help keep animals off of your property this winter, but to repel them, you should understand what it is that attracts them in the first place.
Just like we want to go inside when it’s cold out, animals are the same way. They have to maintain a certain body temperature in order to survive, and when you combine that with the food and water sources a home provides, the result is irresistible to critters.
In addition to the warmth and protection from the elements a house provides, the following can help attract unwanted attention:
- Leaving messes in the house instead of cleaning them up right away, especially food or drink spills
- Piles of leaves, wood, or other debris that could provide shelter
- Pet food or water bowls left outside
- Trash cans left open outside
- Holes or cracks that provide entrance to your home
What Can I Do?
Some ways you can help keep animals away include:
- Removing outdoor water supplies by moving pet bowls indoors, and fixing leaky garden hose spouts
- Inspecting the outside of your home for possible points of entry. Holes larger than about ¼” should be patched or covered
- Since rats can climb, keep overhanging tree branches trimmed and away from the roof of your home
- Keeping your lawn free of leaf and debris piles to reduce the amount of shelter available
- Stacking any firewood away from your home, and keep only as much as you need on hand
Let Us Help
Wild animals in or around your home can cause all sorts of problems from property damage to health risks, so it’s always best to address the issue before it grows out of hand. The above tips will go a long way towards making your property less attractive to animals, but if you do find yourself with an infestation, Critter Control® of Tampa can help. Call us today at 813.948.0870 with questions about our wildlife removal services, or to schedule a home consultation.